Another ten minute salad .
Oh boy, its so easy to make and bursting with summer flavours. Devour this salad and you will feel energised for hours.
Marching into season RIGHT NOW – most recognised as orange but available in purple and yellow.
High in Vitamin A, C, K, Potassium and Fibre.
Each colour has differing levels of beneficial antioxidants – so as the old saying goes ‘EAT THE RAINBOW’
The Yellow variety are high in Lutein which is great for eye sight.
There’s a lot of chat around saying that corn isn’t healthy. Don’t believe it.
What you should believe is that corn is one of the most genetically modified vegetables around. Always buy Organic. And it is used to make substances like High Fructose Corn Syrup etc – which Coca Cola use as the sweetener in their bubbly drinks. Don’t confuse this with the real deal, it aint.
High in B Vitamins and fibre and so satisfying to eat when cooked with that perfect amount of crunch.
If I look at a cucumber I feel cool. It’s the memories of adding them to summer salads and cocktails.
They have a high water content and are anti-inflamatory. Use them for puffy eyes or to jazz up a home facial.
They belong to the same family as melons, zucchini and squash.
CARROT, CORN AND CUCUMBER SALAD
2 as a side OR 1 full meal
A poached egg OR any other form of protein you can dream of
- 1 Carrot
- 1 Cucumber
- 1 Corn cob
- 1 tablespoon of chopped Shallots/Spring Onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped Coriander
- 1 handful of Mint
- 2 tablespoons Yoghurt
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Boil water in a pot on stove
- Skin your corn and add to pot – cook for 3 minutes
You can tell when corn is ready by getting a knife a gently trying to cut the corn kernels
They will give a slight resistance for 1/2 a second then your knife will go through
- Put corn to the side to cool
- Chop coriander and spring onions
- Thinly slice your cucumber
- Grate your carrot
- Add the yoghurt and mint to a blender and blend on low until combined
(you can also bruise mint in a mortar and pestle, add your yoghurt and allow to sit for 20 minutes before eating)
- Use tongs to hold corn so you don’t burn your hands and slice kernels off the cob
- Throw everything into a bowl and dress with the minty yoghurt
- Season with salt and pepper