I’ve never been into the whole Matcha craze. I actually only tried it a month or 2 ago for the first time ever. I did not enjoy it. Don’t get me wrong, I love my green tea. I’m a Genmaicha Sencha type of gal, it contains popcorn and brown rice.
But then I said yes to making a custom dessert for a client and the centre flavour had to be matcha. Challenge accepted. Now I’m some matcha in love (with the worst puns ever).
Matcha Crunch Slice
Ingredients – Crunchy base
- 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 12 dates, pitted
Ingredients – Matcha layer
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla bean powder
- 1 tablespoon matcha powder
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup, honey or maple syrup
- 2 drops quality therapeutic grade lime essential oil
- Blitz up the crunchy base layer ingredients (except the dates).
- With the food processor on, one by one add the dates until a crumbly consistency is formed.
- Test the mixture can hold together properly by squeezing some in between your hands. If it stays together, it’s ready. If it’s still crumbly add 1 tablespoon of water and blend again.
- Line with baking paper, a container around 15cm x 21cm.
- Scoop base layer mixture into container, press into edges and smooth out. Place in freezer to set.
- Blend ingredients for Matcha layer until creamy and smooth. Taste test, you may want it a little sweeter.
- Remove container from freezer and pour matcha layer over the top. To get the matcha cream into the corners, drop the container onto your bench from the height of jar and let gravity do the work.
- Place in freezer until set. Approx 30 minutes.
- Optional, but totally delicious: Top with half a batch of easy home-made chocolate.