First of all – I mean pantry AND fridge. I’m grouping them into the one category for the sake of this post.
Your pantry is your gate keeper to amazing meals. How many times have you thought of an AWESOME recipe to whip up only to be fresh out of the superb spice combination you need? It used to happen quite a bit for me. But overtime I’ve built a pantry that could welcome any inventive chef.
Stocking your pantry can be expensive, especially when you’re starting from scratch but build slowly with ingredients you use often. Every now and then buy something extra.
This list could go on forever. I’ve started with key ingredients and will add to it overtime as I fall in love with new ingredients. But if you’re ticking these off already, you are on your way to pantry heaven.
Why keep an army of ingredients in your cupboard?
It saves time when you need to cook.
It allows for a ‘freestyle’ cook without a recipe.
It trains you to not run to shops every time you think of something you’d like to make. This is an important skill to learn and will save you lots of money.
My Essential Pantry List AKA How to Stock Your Pantry
- Oils – olive oil, rice bran oil, coconut oil
- Vinegar – apple cider vinegar, brown rice vinegar, white vinegar
- Himalayan salt
- Spices – all of them!
- Herbs – fresh from the garden or dried
- Organic eggs
- Yoghurt – coconut or cows
- Home made cheese
- Organic butter
- Milk – nut or cows or coconut
- Nuts – almond, hazelnut, cashew, walnut, pecan etc.
- Seeds – sesame white, sesame black, poppy, sunflower, pepita
- Grains, rice, etc. – brown rice, quinoa, millet, freekeh, oats
- Flours – coconut, spelt, tapioca, wholemeal
- Sweeteners – rice malt syrup, coconut sugar, maple syrup,
- Vanilla bean