VERMICELLI SATAY BOWL
This vermicelli satay bowl is the right balance of noodley, fruitty, salty and refreshing. Perfect to meal prep for simple weekday lunches, paired with a roast chicken or slow cooked beef or with a few jammy eggs.
This week I’m sharing a recipe from my new catering menu.
Let me start by saying it’s not the salad ingredients that make this. Although, great ingredients will go a long way to enhance the experience. The secret is in the delicious satay dressing.
As I cook with what feels right at the time and with the seasons. This dressing has been making the rounds for the last few months – but it’s officially on the new menu now! Which is exciting for me, because I know how delicious it is.I’ve been making a satay dressing for years now, but I usually use sesame seeds. I simmer it with a bunch of onions, garlic, ginger and tamari to create a real satay style sauce.. but this one is a little different and may have become my favourite.
Better yet, it’s easier to make.
This recipe involves peanuts, but you could use any nut you like – almond or cashew would taste great. Once you’ve toasted your nuts. All you need to do is blend away with a few other ingredients and you have yourself a delicious drizzle on anything dressing.
- 1 pack vermicelli noodles
- 1 zucchini
- 1 carrot
- 1 cucumber
- 1/4 cup shaved cabbage
- 1/4 cup fresh herbs: mint and coriander are good
- 1 mango
- 2 tbsp shallot
- 6 cherry tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 portion of satay dressing
- Fill a heat proof bowl with hot water and add vermicelli noodles. Let them cook for approx 5 minutes.
- Drain noodles well, additional water will just water down the meal and dressing providing a weaker flavour.
- Chop noodles into smaller pieces with a knife, otherwise they’re quite difficult to eat as they go on forever.
- Grate/mandolin/julienne your zucchini, carrot and cucumber. Add to bowl with noodles, along with cabbage and herbs.
- Chop mango into tiny pieces and add to bowl.
- Add shallots to bowl.
- Roughly chop cherry tomatoes and add to bowl.
- Mix through salad the sesame oil and vinegar – this will help the veggies relax.
- Roll lime to release juices and chop into quarters for garnish.
- Pour as much dressing as you need over the salad and mix well to combine.